Same-Sex Weddings By the Numbers (in Partnership With ‘The Advocate!’)

Gay Wedding Survey Kate McElwee Photography | Hayden Phoenix Photographer

It’s been an exciting past few months for marriage equality. Indiana and Utah legalized gay marriage and June marked the one-year anniversary that the Supreme Court ruled the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional and Prop 8 was dismissed.

So in celebration of LGBT pride month, we just released our second annual same-sex marriage survey in partnership with The Advocate. Here, a snapshot of some of the most interesting stats from the study.

  • The words “commitment ceremony” and “civil union” are becoming scarcer: 82 percent of same-sex couples now use the word “wedding” on their invitations — up from 70 percent in 2013.
  • 38 percent of gay and lesbian couples will propose with a ring and the other 62 percent may exchange rings before or after the proposal.
  • 58 percent will have a formal proposal (compared with 94 percent of straight couples).
  • 91 percent of same-sex couples will see their partners’ wedding attire in advance.
  • 54 percent of gay and lesbian couples will keep their last names after the wedding.
  • 49 percent will write their own wedding vows (compared with 23 percent of straight couples).
  • 45 percent of gay and lesbian couples will take a traditional walk down the ceremony aisle.

 

More! More! More!

> Gay Weddings from The Knot digital magazine!

> 5 fashion alternatives to the traditional dress or tux

> 10 of our favorite proposal stories from gay and lesbian couples

Zoe Saldana poses at the 2015 Oscars
See the Surprising Oscars Wedding Ring Trend We Weren't&n...
Lady Gaga and Taylor Kinney pose on the red carpet
Lady Gaga and Taylor Kinney's Engagement Was Surprisingly...
Jeannie Savage planned this wedding
And The Knot Dream Wedding Planner Is...
Marry Me Today Proposal | blog.theknot.com
Tune In Tonight at 10 to Watch 'Marry Me...Today' with Th...
Jennifer Hudson and Gwen Stefani at The 2015 Grammys
Best Bridal Beauty Looks from the 2015 Grammy Awards
grammys-get-the-look-promo
Would You Rock These Hot Bridal Trends From the 2015 Gram...
  • 06/28/14 at 08:40

    Thank you for the statistics.

  • 06/29/14 at 08:58

    Again, I have no problems with same sex partners but I do have a problem with them shoving their life style in my face. I don’t do that with my heterosexual life style. I sincerely feel that more people would be less offended with alternative life styles if people didn’t keep trying to defend their situation, trying to convince others that it’s ok, and trying to expand the gay base. What makes you happy is what counts in YOUR LIFE. Otherwise, the only heterosexual marriages we see in the news are celebrities and rich monarchist types.

  • 07/01/14 at 10:46

    Please don’t feed this troll. Let’s just keep getting married and be happy. Or “throw it in his face”, however you want to call it.

  • Dee
    06/29/14 at 04:03

    Wrong Frank, none of us is trying to throw anything in your face. We just want equal rights. You getting married, why can’t we? You kiss in public, why can’t we? You hold hands in public, why can’t we? If we do it, you call it “throwing our relationships in your face”, weirdly, we’re just trying to be just like you, not different. Go figure.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Escort cards are extremely easy to personalize and an excellent way to bring in your wedding day colors -- from calligraphed seating cards set atop a textured linen to apples tagged with each guest's name or small personalized bundles of lavender tied off with string. Other ways to display escort cards: Pin them to a clothesline, post them on a board covered in color-coordinated ribbon, or incorporate them into your cocktail hour using personalized stirrers tagged with guests' names.
see more
  • Follow

    Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

    Join 1,042 other followers

    %d bloggers like this: