These Are The 25 Most Expensive Places To Get Married In America

Photo: Jacob Arthur/ The Knot blog Jacob Arthur

While the national average wedding may be $29,858, that’s just an average. If you live in a larger city, like Manhattan where the average wedding costs $86,916, you may find yourself spending close to triple the national spend! Take a look below at some of the other most expensive cities to get married in!

Most expensive regions to get married / The Knot blog

20. Orange County/Inland Empire, CA: $32,021
21. Baltimore: $31,964
22. Chicago Suburbs, IL: $31,489
23. Detroit: $31,044
24. San Diego: $30,885
25. Maine: $29,854

Are you getting married in any of these cities? Have you kept your budget under the average? Tell us below, and don’t forget to share our infographic on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest!

Want More? Of Course You Do!

> See the average wedding cost last year!
> Who pays for what in a wedding?
> Your new best friend: The Knot wedding budget tool

Wedding Exit With Sparklers
Goodbye, The Knot Blog (We've Moved!)
Zoe Saldana poses at the 2015 Oscars
See the Surprising Oscars Wedding Ring Trend We Weren't&n...
Lady Gaga and Taylor Kinney pose on the red carpet
Lady Gaga and Taylor Kinney's Engagement Was Surprisingly...
Marry Me Today Proposal | blog.theknot.com
Tune In Tonight at 10 to Watch 'Marry Me...Today' with Th...
Jennifer Hudson and Gwen Stefani at The 2015 Grammys
Best Bridal Beauty Looks from the 2015 Grammy Awards
  • Liz
    04/02/14 at 05:06

I’m getting married at Disneyland next weekend and the estimate is about right!

• Kyle
    04/02/14 at 05:28

We’re getting married on the Jersey Shore and we’ve kept our number well below that average.

• Patricia
    04/07/14 at 02:14

Where down the shore are you getting married?

• Alysha Burden
    04/02/14 at 05:58

We’re getting married in Riverside. Wedding will be costing us a little under $15k

• Liz
    04/02/14 at 06:12

Try getting married in Saskatchewan, Canada. Our cost will be around 1/2 the average!

• 04/02/14 at 06:17

We’re getting married at the Jersey Shore and our budget is below $10k!

• Kara
    04/02/14 at 07:09

I’m getting married on a Saturday in July in Murrieta and out cost has been just slightly over 15K

• caitlen
    04/02/14 at 08:01

getting married in rhode island on may of next year. and were estimating to be about 22-25k. I think it all depends on where you go and what your willing to spend.

• Kathy
    04/02/14 at 08:34

Getting married this July in North Jersey and were double that number!

• Megan
    04/02/14 at 09:36

Wow, I’m not even sure what I would spend that much of money on…That kind of pressure to have a perfect day sounds like no fun at all! Give me food, wine, music and our favorite people…and that’s all I need for a perfect wedding! (We’re doing it in less than $5,000.)

• Rachel
    04/07/14 at 04:40

That’s my kind of wedding!
    We’re looking at around $3500 for ours (but we’re not in any of the super pricy places from the map here, but I’d say our average is $15,000-20,000)

This is my second marriage. I had a $10,000 wedding the first time and realized how many of the things I was all concerned about really didn’t matter (as in I didn’t remember them as time went on).

For me, the most important (aside from actually GETTING married) is sharing the day with my friends and family. After that was having it photographed for memories (I only watched the video once).

This wedding is going to be a potluck. And a friend with a nice camera is doing the photos (cuz the scrapbook my mom mad me from guest photos was way cooler than the super pricy album from the photographer).

We’re spending the big bucks on an awesome honeymoon instead (and really, that’s only because we can afford it no problem, not because it’s super important). Who wants to start off their married life in debt from an extravagant wedding?

I could actually afford to pay for my own wedding up to about $10,000 again, but I’d much rather spend that on something like a brand new car that at least I’d use every day for years.

• Leeza
    06/18/14 at 10:26

Hi Megan! Could you reply me some tips! I’m trying to keep it under 5k too!

• arce9600@sbcglobal.net
    06/19/14 at 10:32

Our biggest expense was the facility itself. We had an outdoor wedding in the rose garden of a bed and breakfast. They had a large dining hall right next to it for the banquet and dance. The bed and breakfast had 10 rooms (we used for bridal party). The rooms were for Friday night and Saturday night. The entire place was 5K! Keeping in mind, 10 rooms times 2 nights, would be an $2000 value in itself or more with the nice breakfast they served.
    If you can use a church you are a member of, that often saves cost, especially if you can have the reception there too. We spent next to nothing on decorations though, because the place was so pretty. I just decorated the arbor, head table and center pieces. all weddings will likely have these expenses which I think are adjustable depending on how fancy the bride and groom want to go: Food/catering, photographer, DJ and/or photo booth, bartender. These and the location were our big ticket items. Our total: $7200 (but we paid for the 10 rooms for our guests for two nights- many wouldn’t do that).

• Melissa
    04/02/14 at 10:42

I’m getting married on Long Island and we are trying to do everything under $40,000. It’s super expensive and makes me sick how much everything costs.

• 04/03/14 at 07:24

I’m getting married on Long Island. I’m pretty good with talking down prices and have saved a bundle so we are getting married prime time on the water for $33k well below budget :-)

• barbaramcglone
    04/03/14 at 12:27

I got married in San Diego 1 year ago & we had a nice, but not lavish wedding. It cost $20,000 MORE than is listed here so I am quite surprised by this statistic!

• 04/04/14 at 09:58

getting married on long island and i’m at about half the price!! it’s pretty easy to stay under that number if your smart

• 04/05/14 at 01:24

As a quirky eco-friendly wedding planner in Chicago I will say that these averages in general do not help couples with realistic expectations for the costs of their wedding. I have planned some that cost $15,000 and some that cost $80,000+ A lot of what goes into your budget shouldn’t be what an article says you should spend, but more about what means the most to you. Allocate the budget around the important things. If you don’t care about favors, save that money and put it towards the keg from your favorite local brewery. Priorities are key– and talk to a planner in the city you’re getting married in, they will help make the numbers fall into place.

• 04/07/14 at 01:35

I agree! We’re getting married in Chicago and were able to stay well under the budget quoted above. It may take a little hunting but you can find lots of fantastic vendors and location options that fit a tight wedding budget. We’re using a park district building, and a local brewery for our events and couldn’t happier or more excited!

• Caresse
    04/07/14 at 01:22

I’m getting married in San Diego and am having everything I’ve ever wanted (ie: beach wedding; beach front reception; live band; full catering and full bar; two photographers; Mori lee dress. You get the gist) I have kept it at roughly 17,000 weddings can be everything you want if you know what you’re willing to splurge on and what you don’t really need. I also incorporated a lot of family members in my wedding which cut our budget down significantly, as well as makes it much more special.

• Mer
    04/07/14 at 01:37

That average for Detroit seems high… I’m getting married just outside of the D and fall about $8K under that, but I did look at a few venues in the city and was surprised how expensive they were – for a city that is bankrupt, you’d think you could get a deal… but not so. I admire all of these brides that can get all of these things for much cheaper than the “average”, but I suggest that this list does not really capture everything. I have been tracking every single dollar I spend on my wedding, down to gifts for my coordinator, tips (and meals) for the vendors, cute cards and bridesmaids gifts, bridesmaid lunch, frames for our memorial table, grooms & parents gifts, etc. To me it seems impossible to have a florist & decor for $2k….

• Kelly
    04/07/14 at 04:14

I’m getting married in Long Island November 2015 and my budget is under $20,000

• Tina
    04/07/14 at 04:14

Cleveland is not on this list and we are pretty close to $140,000 on our wedding. What is the average supposed to be in cleveland?

• Tina
    04/07/14 at 04:17

I should mention that we have a very large guest count.. But the videographer, photographer, dj.. Things that don’t depend on the count are costing 20k and we looked around at other decent options and they would have been at least 10-15k too.

• Rachel
    04/07/14 at 04:45

That’s insane! And here I thought $2500 for a photographer was steep.

• Kera McMiller
    04/07/14 at 05:53

I’m getting married in Houston, TX. We have kept our entire budget under $10,000. That includes our Honeymoon (Caribbean), Rings, and a special bridal party weekend.

• Madelyne Yanes
    08/13/14 at 12:39

Hi Kera! I will also be getting married in Houston and just started my search for a venue any tips? :)

• Kera McMiller
    08/13/14 at 02:23

We are having a January wedding to coincide with new years. Venue is Brady’s landing. You only have to pay for food, so no additional venue costs and for 175 it is coming out to around $3000. With a corking fee we can provide our own wine/ champagne. Cost are also low because we are having wedding and reception from 11am – 3pm. We will have a later after party at downtown bar.

• Laura Frankhouser
    04/07/14 at 07:53

How is Orlando not in the top 25? Disney World weddings are like $30,000+, unless you do an intimate wedding. And hotels/venues around Disney cannot be found much cheaper. #surprised!

• Holly
    06/16/14 at 10:41

I agree I was expecting Orlando to be right there along side manhattan lol

• Ericka
    06/16/14 at 11:28

Hey Laura, I’m a Disney Bride! Our Renewal was 3/17/14. And yes they just recently changed some of the pricing regulations. But there are many ways that you can save. Are you a Disney Bride? We have a couple of Disney Bride groups and we try to help each other with info and ideas. I’m glad I found the group. It helped me save a lot of money.

• Jalyn
    04/08/14 at 01:26

We’re getting married in Ventura, Ca and having our reception in Bakersfield, Ca. Our budget is below 5K!

• Lisa
    04/09/14 at 09:56

Kansas – $12-13k and that includes the honeymoon to Tulum all-inclusive resort! Our largest expense is the venue, a Victorian Inn bed and breakfast, wedding in the gorgeous garden, and then the dinner/reception and dance in the hall adjacent to the garden. Complete w/white doves :). The Inn has 10 rooms for the wedding party, bride room, groom room, etc. The venue was $5500. Yes, I did a lot of DIY. Good deals on catering, DJ, rentals, bartending and photog.

• tina
    04/09/14 at 10:08

That sounds amazing!

• 04/18/14 at 06:07

Trying to make a decision on Venetian in Vegas or Puerto Rico.. This summer

• 06/15/14 at 11:18

We’re getting married in Santa Barbara and only sending $13k!

• Danielle Trotter
    06/16/14 at 12:07

I am from Long Island we just got married end of March. This was pretty much dead on for me.. Spent about $60,000. Its disgusting! But we wanted a big formal affair and that’s what we got!

• Melissa
    06/16/14 at 12:18

We are getting married on Long Island, we are not quite at the Long Island average but we are getting pretty darn close

• Joslyn
    06/16/14 at 12:29

Getting married in Northern Virginia in Sept and we around $20k.

• Krista
    06/16/14 at 12:34

South Jersey bride here… Will probably end up around $30k

• Caitlin
    06/16/14 at 07:15

We’re getting married on Long Island in 3months and it’s costing us a little more than average. We picked a pricier well known boutique hotel on the beach for reception- I wouldn’t have picked a more beautiful place!!

• Rachel
    06/16/14 at 09:23

Getting married in Chicago and spending half that amount, with 80 guests. Might help to present the average costs with average size too.

• Holly
    06/16/14 at 10:39

I’m from Long Island and we had top of the line Everything we had a Saturday night wedding for 150ppl first in church followed by a reception at an elite Venue on the water where we where the only wedding we had top shelf liquor and a cocktail and Viennese hour . We had rolls Royce limos a videographer designer dresses and suits, and all the works our totally was around 18,000 if it was that high want to know my secret ?!?? We booked and planned in 8 weeks .. Every thing we got was a canceled date so if they didn’t give me my price they literally had no event that night so I made out well .. I suggest you save your money like we did and then book it all last minute I promise anything that’s important will get done !

• sara
    06/16/14 at 07:40

We are getting married this August on the south shore … Kept it under budget…

• AviEllé
    06/18/14 at 09:08

We’re getting married 12.13.14 in Aberdeen, NJ (just outside of Staten Island) and we’re spending about $45,000.

• Lyndsay Rossman
    06/29/14 at 07:50

I’m surprised Charleston isn’t on the list!

• Q
    08/09/14 at 06:44

We just started planning we’re getting married 2/13/16 in Miami but we have a budget of $100,000.

• Janice
    08/09/14 at 07:30

We are having our wedding in South Florida and we are trying to keep our budget at $15k. We may go over by a couple thousand, but I’m determined to stick to the budget. I’m actually thinking of writing a blog about it. I want to encourage others that with hard work, you can have a beautiful budget friendly wedding. :-)

• Ariana
    08/09/14 at 07:52

I got married in Ventura, CA for about $14,000 at a pretty much all inclusive venue. Threw are ways to do it much cheaper than what’s listed on here, without sacrificing anything. Granted, I have an amazing mom who made the dresses and did the decorations, but you can still find deals and do it for a lot less. To whoever said she got married in San Diego for $50,000 and is surprised at The Knots number, that’s crazy. I was looking into getting married in San Diego and found some gorgeous places that would’ve cost under $20,000. You don’t have to spend that kind of money to have a nice wedding. Mine was everything I dreamed of, and didn’t put me into debt for years. The wedding was paid off before we even had it.

• Michele Anderson
    08/09/14 at 09:49

My husband and I were married in the Lehigh Valley for about $22,000 ish total including flowers, videographer/photographer, cello/violin, band, etc!! We worked with a beautiful family owned venue that included much of the necessities (i.e food, band/dj, bakery). Our guests have said they had a great time and we wouldn’t change a thing :)

• 08/09/14 at 10:08

We got married on 7/5/14 in Harbor Island San Diego. It was amazingly beautiful and we managed to stay under 15K!
    Not including our rings, we paid most of it off as we went and as of this month, we are debt free!
    I have plenty of tips for anyone interested in a manageable DIY wedding.

• Marissa
    01/02/15 at 05:15

We’re getting married this upcoming May 2015 on Long Island and it’ll be just under 20K!!

• R
    01/02/15 at 08:52

We’re about $20K over the South Jersey average. We’ve guessed it’ll cost us 60K total. We’re paying for it ourselves. We chose a Boutique hotel and couldn’t be happier with our decision so far!

• Jamie
    01/02/15 at 11:28

I’m right outside of Baltimore and our wedding is looking to be around $14,000!

• Colleen
    01/03/15 at 12:09

i got married in central/south NJ by the shore. Everything (including my dress and head piece/veil) was under $22,000. Venue was $102.98 pp including taxes n fees. I got great deals on my venders and did a lot of DIY projects like my centerpieces

• Melissa
    01/03/15 at 12:32

I’m surprised Lake Tahoe didn’t make the map. As a local wedding planner here the average summertime wedding is around $35,000-$40,000 and that’s “normal” sometimes with no frills. I just got married near Tahoe this last September and when everything was said and done, I think our final number was somewhere around $38,000.

• Nicole B
    01/03/15 at 04:48

we got married in point pleasant, nj at the most beautiful venue (i am biased, of course!) although it was pricey, they didn’t nickel and dime when we wanted to add things to our reception, and people are still talking about how incredible our cocktail hour was. it was a pricey day overall, but the memories are priceless :)

• Maile
    01/03/15 at 06:59

since when is Louisiana a city…?

• Miriam
    02/23/15 at 09:47

Married for $12,000 in 2009 in Suffolk County, Long Island. Nearly 100 guests, a 5-piece steel drum band for our reception. We saved money by holding it in my in-laws’ backyard under tents and having it catered by a company which primarily does corporate affairs, not weddings. Friends gave us the ceremony music (violin & cello) as our wedding gift, and I bought my dress on ebay for $85 plus $15 for tailoring. Videographer for the ceremony only. No limo. I made the favors, and we were frugal with our flowers. We bought tons of plants for decorating the tables and other areas from a wholesale greenhouse in town where we got a discount for the bulk purchase. It was a relaxed, unique affair. Guests are still talking about how much fun they had.

Here are my tips for other brides for saving a bit of money, even if you are wedding in a hall: don’t get sucked in my the extras. A lot of people will tell you what you “should” or “need to” have. You will begin to doubt yourself. “Experts” don’t know everything. I had several friends who should have known me better insist I had to have a DJ, saying I wouldn’t have a good wedding without one. I didn’t want a DJ, and my wedding was fine. Don’t pay $50 for favors no one is going to look at the day after your wedding. Find your priority (ours was the band, fully a quarter of the amount we paid for our wedding) and rethink other things. Do you need to pay extra for fuschia tablecloths and napkins, or can you deal with white? You may look just as stunning in a used dress; spend the extra money on cleaning and tailoring. Can you do your own makeup? Make a checklist with “Must Have,” “Would Like to Have,” and “Nice, but Not Necessary,” and then move things around as your budget decrees.

And, one more thing, the honeymoon. It’s not the trip of a lifetime; don’t go broke paying for it. They’ll be many more trips in your future. My husband and I had a much better time on a trip we took in 2011 than we did on our honeymoon two years earlier because we knew each other better, were more comfortable financially, and were more relaxed together. Better to come out of your wedding with no debt, and then put the money you might have borrowed into a house or car. I know not all of you will agree with everything I say, but, instead of being mean, just post your own advice. That’s more helpful for everyone. Thanks!