How Often Do You Clean Your Engagement Ring?

How long did it take you to get used to wearing “The Ring?” A week? A month? For me, it was almost immediate. The moment I started wearing it, it felt like I had always worn it. It belonged to my great-grandmother and I love that it has some family history. And the first few weeks I wore it, I treated it like, well, the gold it’s made out of. I have an irrational fear that our dog will eat it so I store it securely at bedtime in the nightstand. Of course, this will never, ever happen because he’s not Marley from Marley and Me. (Never seen it? Netflix it, now. It’s a perfect date night movie because it has Owen Wilson for you, Jennifer Aniston for him and a ridiculously adorable yellow lab for the both of you.)

Anyway, back to rings. Like I said, I treated my new bling with real reverence, especially during the first few weeks. That meant cleaning it daily…sometimes twice a day. And this seemed necessary, and, honestly, I still think it sort of was. The first thing thing everyone did after finding out we were engaged was look at my ring, so naturally I wanted it to look its best. I also made sure to get a pale pink manicure (Essie by Mademoiselle if you’re interested; it’s pretty much the perfect engagement ring pink, in my opinion) to complement and not overshadow it. When I cleaned my beloved bauble, I not only let it have a luxurious soak in the cleaning solution, but I even used that tiny little brush—the one that’s so small it would make an excellent Barbie hairbrush—to gently scrub the surface of the diamonds. Now it’s a little over a month later, and I still love my ring, but my nails are sometimes back to their polish-less state, and the ring itself? It’s lucky to get a quick dip in the cleaning solution on my way out the door twice a week—a sponge bath for jewelry, if you will.

So, how often do you clean your e-ring?  Do you get weekly manicures to show off your ring? Was it weird for you to get used to wearing your new favorite piece of jewelry? And how many of you also have heirloom rings? Tell us below!

Want more? Right here!

I sort of hate the word fiancé

> Wedding rings: 10 commandments

10 steps to a better engagement ring selfie

Scheana Shay's wedding
'Vanderpump Rules' Star Scheana Marie's Planner Gave Us t...
bella collina florida wedding venue | KT MERRY PHOTOGRAPHY | The Knot blog
5 of the Greatest Places to Get Married in the US
wedding-websites-promo
Read How Real Couples Met (From Their Wedding Websit...
Mikie Russo from FYI's Mikie Saves the Date
Event Planner Michael Russo Planned His Own Wedding While...
Chic Elopement Style | Blog.TheKnot.com
Elope In Style With These Chic Ideas
  • Marci
    02/21/14 at 03:40

I would get mine professionally cleaned weekly. I was terrified a diamond would fall out in the cleaning machine!! I kept a French mani for a couple months… now a year later, I’m up to my neck in wedding plans and I’m back to my chipped crazy nail polish colors that I love. It only gets cleaned if we stop by the jewelry store in the mall. I still love my ring and cannot wait for these next 4 months to go by! Oh and if I think about it for to long, it’s still weird to have the giant ring on 24/7.

• Marissa
    02/21/14 at 03:42

I got engaged in October and the white gold and diamond are beautiful. Where my fiance bought my ring, they will clean your ring whenever you want. I honestly don’t know how long your supposed to wait to have in cleaned. I had also been doing research on how to clean it myself. Well I’m really not comfortable cleaning something that special and that expensive myself. So I went and cleaned my ring yesterday. I think i’ll go every 4 months or so. They really brought the sparkle back into my ring. And as for the manicures, I was painting my nails myself with clear nail polish. I tried other colors, but I couldn’t do. The polish would last one day and that would be it. I have to say it was so weird, I felt like I had a weight on my hand, now its weird when I don’t have it on.

• Kathy
    02/21/14 at 04:47

I’ve been married for 20 years and I still will clean mine once a week. I use Connoisseurs Diamond Dazzle Stik and it really makes my ring shine like new. Love it!

• Allison
    02/21/14 at 04:59

I clean my ring every other day in a cleaner I purchased from the jewerly store. I waited too long and it’s too pretty of a diamond for it not to sparkle and be absolutely flawless!

• 02/21/14 at 05:53

We recommend that brides have their ring professionally checked and cleaned by a trusted jewelry every six months. It’s important to make sure that the jeweler checks your stones and prongs. With normal wear-and-tear, the six month span gives you enough time to do preventative maintenance on your ring if it’s needed. We never want to see you loose a stone! As for cleaning at home, mild soap and a soft toothbrush can be used as often as you like.

• 02/21/14 at 08:03

I definitely get that ring’s “check-up” on a regular basis! It is worth way too much to let it dull and be dingy. I love to just drop mine at the jeweler while I run a couple errands and then pick it back up on the way home. It always looks so much cleaner when the PROS do it!

• 02/23/14 at 10:34

Thanks for sharing. Very useful article. I am not married but I hope to be able to use this article again. I would like to share the pic on my facebook https://www.facebook.com/abbyweddingdress,because I love wedding gown and style ideas.

• stephancypants
    03/31/14 at 01:12

My boyfriend proposed with his great-grandmother’s ring. It is so incredibly special to me because of the sentimental as well as personal meaning it has.
    I have a spare toothbrush which I keep under the sink. When I brush my teeth in the morning I try to remember to give it a once over. I just use warm water (maybe a little hand soap if it looks particularly dirty). Maybe once a month I will clean it in a jewelry cleaning solution.
    I work with my hands a lot, so between washing my hands and soap that gets stuck, or lotion, or just every day dirt I think my ring gets dirtier faster than average. Also, because of my job I keep my nails short, and so every 2-3 weeks I give myself a manicure. I love bright colors and sparkles so that never changed.. :)

• 04/03/15 at 02:20

You don’t want to use hand soap, after a while it will make your diamonds appear cloudy. You can use windex or even a tiny bit of toothpaste, but I’d recommend getting some cleaner made for gold and gemstones if you want your baby to shine the way it should.

• Alex S.
    03/31/14 at 05:58

I would give my rings a monthly clean just to keep the shine at its fullest! I would just do it at home with some warm water and baking soda. Its a lot cheaper than getting it cleaned professionally. and the baking soda is not harsh on the diamond stone. I found my tips from this article http://www.diamond-banc.com/clean-diamonds-home/ check it out if you want a cheap and easy way to maintain your diamond without it costing a fortune!

• 05/09/14 at 11:53

I always have my nails manicured now that I’m engaged. I don’t clean my ring as often as I should. It took a little bit getting used to on my finger. It’s a high setting and top heavy so it likes to roll around. But now I feel naked if I don’t have it. lol

• 05/10/14 at 03:08

We suggest purchasing an at home ultrasonic cleaner for your diamond jewelry. You can put your engagement ring in it every night and it will look spectacular every day. But you should have it checked by a professional jeweler every 6 months for wear and to have it professionally cleaned. We provide this service at no cost to our customers. Avoid soap and bleach as these products dull and weaken your rings. A toothbrush and Windex work well if you don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner.

• 07/05/14 at 12:22

Hi Ladies!

I just got engaged to my best friend on the 3rd of July! I say best friend because well… We’ve been best friends since high school and have known each other since fourth grade. Since he worked on the 4th, we decided to go on a date the day before. Being a woman, I had a hunch that he was going to propose but decided to let the thought go so I wouldn’t ruin the date for me. We went to the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway and found the highest point that we could manage to get to. The whole time we were there, he was stumbling around and slipping on rocks. Nerves? So when we get to this high point on the mountain, the man drops to a knee and I’m thinking he fell… When I turn around, he pulls a ring from his pocket. I just drew a blank and for once in my life, my head was empty with thoughts and I just cried! It felt like everyone around us disappeared and it was just is in that moment. Of course, I said YES!! :)

My ring is an heirloom from his aunt. It’s so gorgeous! When I was given the ring, it wasn’t cleaned because he was so busy showing everyone he knew and he works 24hr on call shifts. I bought cleaner from the store and after I cleaned it, it was insanely extravagant. It made me realize that HIS family loves us so much and totally supports our life together to pass down something so important. I’ll definitely be cleaning my often to keep it’s shine radiant.

• Nicole
    11/10/14 at 12:44

I’ve had my ring for a couple of months now and I love love love getting it cleaned!! I wish I could go to our jeweler every week!! The ultrasonic cleaner they have there does wonders but it’s not super close to our house and their hours are funny.

Dawn dish soap is the best thing so far that I have found that works for my ring!! it’s super gentle and really makes it sparkle and I don’t even need to use a toothbrush or anything to scrub.

• H
    02/27/15 at 02:07

Wow, really? Weekly? DAILY? Sheesh.
    I’ve never cleaned mine and don’t plan to any time in the foreseeable future. Looks just fine to me :)

• Cynthia Cole
    02/27/15 at 03:32

I’ve been engaged for a month & haven’t had mine cleaned yet & it’s killing me! I’m still at the stage where I won’t shower or wash my hands with it on. I just can’t lol.. However I will be getting it cleaned at the jewelry store he purchased it from this weekend! It still has its glow, but I feel like it’s a newborn baby and I want to treat it with the greatest care.. I know, crazy!