A Shrek-Themed Wedding?!

Well this is something we have never seen before!  For their own wedding, Paul Bellas and Heidi Coxshall dressed as the lead characters from the movie Shrek. The couple’s 4-year-old son Leo, dressed as Shrek’s Donkey and the couple’s guests joined in on the fun by dressing up as other fairytale characters such as Snow White and Peter Pan.

The groom told UK’s The Sun that the couple loves  the message behind Shrek, in “that it doesn’t matter what you look like or who you are, it’s all about true love” — awww!

In a funny twist, the couple had to get government permission to dress as characters, because by law the couple must be identifiable when married, so a registrar had to watch the couple put on their makeup.

All photos by Kandidprints Photos

> Check out the Little Mermaid-inspired Disney wedding

> 19 problems every bride deals with

How Long Did You Date Before Getting Engaged | blog.theknot.com
Hot Topic: How Long Should You Date Before Getting E...
What to Do If Your Fiance Doesn't 'Get' Wedding Etiquette | Beautiful Day Photography | blog.theknot.com
What to Do if Your Fiance Doesn't "Get" Wedding Etiq...
The Knot Toast to Love | blog.theknot.com
Cheers to Breaking the Guinness World Record at #The...
Marry Me Today Proposal | blog.theknot.com
Tune In Tonight at 10 to Watch 'Marry Me...Today' with Th...
Jennifer Hudson and Gwen Stefani at The 2015 Grammys
Best Bridal Beauty Looks from the 2015 Grammy Awards
grammys-get-the-look-promo
Would You Rock These Hot Bridal Trends From the 2015 Gram...
  • Jessica
    02/28/13 at 08:13

It would have been cute had the Shrek and Fiona costumes been better! They are horrible!

• Brittany
    02/28/13 at 08:36

This is AWFUL! You’re only supposed to get married ONCE for goodness sakes! Make it beautiful, not COMICAL! Halloween is EVERY year….I promise. :/

• Kate
    02/28/13 at 09:10

What horrible things to say!! I think it’s a wonderful idea, not something I would have done but to each their own. who are you to judge and criticize them and say its not beautiful? Good on them and I wish them all the happiness in the world! X

• Amylu
    02/28/13 at 09:14

Adorable. And in my own words to describe a lot of me and my friends “Adorkable!”

• Nilou
    03/01/13 at 01:19

I’m not sure these are the wedding pics you would wanna show your kids one day. But then again if it made the couple happy, then that’s all that matters.

• 03/01/13 at 07:31

Haha, amazing ideas. But I preffer “normal” wedding.

• Mariah
    03/04/13 at 04:48

‘normal’ is a relative term. I think it’s lovely they did something true to themselves, and it will be memorable for their guests as well! i’ve been to way too many cookie-cutter, indistinguishable weddings. Kudos to them!

I’m sure everyone who attends everyone else’s ‘normal’ wedding will forget the details within a few weeks or months! this, however, will be remembered fondly for a lifetime.

• UniqueNuptial
    03/10/13 at 10:27

That’s “normal” for you. “normal” weddings are pretty much just cookie-cutter and some might find it boring. Different is refreshing.

• Me
    03/01/13 at 10:12

Not for me, but once again, to each their own. :) I also don’t get why people have to be so rude!

• 03/01/13 at 01:07

I think the idea was neat but if I were them, I would have spent more money on the costumes. They looked kind of cheap. Her dress was beautiful but overshadowed by the fact that his make up was not so great. Again, great idea, but not so great presentation.

• Snowflakelike
    03/04/13 at 01:47

This is just adorable! I love the storyline and plan on incorporating the song “Accidentally in Love” into my own wedding in some way. It really resonates with me how the world sees them as monsters, but they love each other just the way they are and are two of a kind. Trying to do anything different (or that other people perceive as different even if it’s common for other groups) for your wedding makes you feel like you are being chased by people with pitchforks! It’s so comforting to be reminded that you have someone to take your hand and run with you and not try to change you.

• Krystal
    03/04/13 at 02:10

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Paige
    03/04/13 at 02:26

How ballsy! I think that this is adorable! And I love their reason for doing it.

• Aoife
    03/05/13 at 01:53

@Snowflakelike: Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. You perfectly summarized my impression of this couple — that they are happy to be different from the world at large, and their unusual wedding is a celebration of how completely perfect they are for each other. I’ve also found the same difficulty with trying to plan a wedding that’s quite common for some groups, but different from what most people perceive as “normal.” I had never realized how fiercely people will defend their opinions of tradition. I’m learning that, while it’s certainly important to be respectful and inclusive, what matters most ultimately is the happiness of you and your spouse.

• Amanda Lawson
    03/05/13 at 04:23

I absolutely love the idea! Good for them for staying true to themselves and their love, and having FUN with their wedding! So many weddings now a days aren’t FUN! Its a celebration of two people coming together, and that’s how it should be.

And for the nay-sayers and critics, get your head out of the magazines, shut off the websites, and actually think outside the cookie cutter crap. Who cares they didn’t spend a ton on their day? Good! I bet most of y’all don’t even know the reasons behind what your doing, only going with what your told. Yawn.

• Mandy
    03/05/13 at 09:47

I think it’s sweet! If it’s what they like and makes them happy, then go for it! I’d much rather be around people who are slightly dorky/goofy than cruel-hearted “cool” people. They seem very much in love and I like the theme behind the costumes.

• T
    03/06/13 at 09:41

This is terrifying!! Why ruin your day like this?

• 04/26/13 at 12:19

[…] More from our blog! > 23 of our favorite wedding movies to add to your must-watch list! > Most romantic movie proposals worth reenacting > A Shrek-themed wedding? See the photos! […]

• Mike
    01/06/14 at 03:07

This couple better wed themselves before they Shrek themselves.
    Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

• 12/11/14 at 02:20

A phenomenal idea, but here in Serbia hardly feasible