“Have you set a date yet?” (A Groom With A View)

calendar2size

I came home one night from a long bike ride and Evin was on the phone, I presumed, with her mother.  She was pacing around the apartment while talking but Evin always paces around the apartment while talking on the phone. So I went about my business, blissfully unaware of what they were talking about. When she hung up the phone I was in the kitchen at the far other end of the apartment.

“How’s your Mom?” I yelled.

“She’s good.  She hosted her Gourmet Club last night. And she’s going to Fire Island this weekend,” she yelled back.

“That’s nice.”

“Oh,” Evin added now unseen in the bedroom, “and she asked us if we had set a date yet.”

When I heard this I dropped whatever I was doing and rushed through the apartment all the way towards her.

“…she thinks that we should really do that now because…”

And when I reached Evin, I did the wildly clever “change of subject” tactic which had worked so successfully over the last 11 days: I took her hand, pulled her closer to me, and was just about to tell her I loved her when she stopped me with her index finger and said:

“Nice try. But I’m onto your little trick and I’ve been humoring you by letting you do it but we need to start planning this wedding.”

Suddenly, everything went black. I started to get dizzy. I grabbed a chair to steady myself but Evin ignored me—

“We need to set a date, we need to find a place, we need to put together a guest list, we need to…”

And she just kept going on and on rattling off what needed to be done as I stood there unable or incapable of saying anything. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to be married to her. I couldn’t wait to be married to her. But wedding plans scared me. Full disclosure: I was married once before. It was brief, I was heavily medicated much of the time, it ended without the need for law enforcement, and we parted if not friends, then not enemies, either. I wanted this go around to be different. I wanted not quite the wedding extravaganza my ex and I had had. Evin knew this and was understanding about my desire.

“Just because you had a bad first marriage experience doesn’t mean I have to suffer.”

And she was right! It was wrong for me to deprive her of a wedding. So I half-reluctantly agreed that we could start planning the wedding.

“Tomorrow? Can we start tomorrow?”

“Yes,” she said tossing me a bone, “We can start tomorrow.”

Man about to propose
17 Honest Thoughts Guys Had Before Proposing
Personalized Gifts | blog.TheKnot.com
Personalized Wedding Gifts You'll Love (To Get And G...
Casual Denim Groomsmen Look | Q Weddings | Blog.theknot.com
Tuck the Tux Away: Casual Groom Styles Are In!
Pocket Squares | blog.TheKnot.com
Steal Our Favorite Pocket Squares
Two Birds Photography | blog.theknot.com
Guys Without Ties? These Grooms Did It!
Lumberjack Groom Style | blog.theknot.com
How Your Groom Can Rock the Lumberjack Look
  • 08/17/12 at 09:20

HAHAHA love this entry. Thank you!

• Niki Pratt
    08/17/12 at 09:31

I laughed all the way through this. Best of luck to you Robert (and Evin!)

• David
    08/17/12 at 09:35

This is beginning to be like a sopa opera one can get hooked on very quickly! What will happen next! :-)

• 08/17/12 at 09:39

Keep smelling salts handy and try to have some fun!

• April
    08/19/12 at 01:04

Lol! So, I’m not the only one with the same thought…

• Alan
    08/17/12 at 10:50

LOL. Love the “medications” line.

• amb
    08/18/12 at 02:40

go Evin, don´t wait for him to decide … just organize all, you decide and just tell him when and were to be :)

• April
    08/19/12 at 01:03

I’m quickly getting addicted to “A Groom with a View”! Keep it coming Robert! Also, best wishes for you & Evin :) Just try to lend a hand to her once in a while :P

• Jayme
    08/19/12 at 01:04

This is great!! Can’t wait to hear of how all of the wedding details unfold!

• David (a different one than above)
    08/19/12 at 05:24

It only took two posts to get to the mother in law! Once she knows she’s a character in a blog the Heisenberg principle will also kick in.

BTW I think the whole subject of a past divorce is also one that’s not written about enough. The mere fact you are up for round two is worthy of commendation.

• 08/19/12 at 08:14

Robert Schwartz after reading 2nd article after your post engagement session, I am thinking cancel my engagement plans. :). But one thing I want to assure you that your neck is under the knife these days and it near to be slashed by your fiancee.

• Myriam
    08/21/12 at 03:02

I am so happy for both of you. You are a great couple!

• 08/22/12 at 10:48

Great post cant wait to feature you on our blog!